Is my landlord responsible for providing fire extinguishers?

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my landlord responsible for providing fire extinguishers?

I live in a duplex; in UT.

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The laws in all states in this country require the placement of fire safety devices in all commercial and residential premises. Such fire safety devices consist of, but are not limited to smoke alarms, carbon monoxide devices, fire sprinklers (in some circumstances) and fire extinguishers.

The payment for all of the above devices are typically through the owner of the builidng that they are to be placed in. If your landlord has refused to place a fire extinguisher in your unit, you might want to contact your local permit and building department about the situation.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption