If my roommate’s boyfriend smokes weed in the house, can I ask the housing company to let me out of my lease because of this?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my roommate’s boyfriend smokes weed in the house, can I ask the housing company to let me out of my lease because of this?

I live in a college apartment where you and your roommates have completely separate leases but you live in the same apartment 9and her boyfriend is not on her lease). He smokes it in her roombut the walls are thin so it travels throughout the whole apartment, including my room. I talked to my roommate about this in the beginning and it stopped. Over the past 2 months, my roommate’s boyfriend was in jail, and he’s back in her life again. He’s smoking weed in the house again and I can smell it. Smoking is prohibited in the apartment and I already complained to them once about this.

Asked on January 9, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are occupying university lodging you need to speak with the administrator of the program as to your desire to get alternate lodging due to your roomate and her boyfriend's bad behavior as to using a controlled substance. If the lodging is private housing, bring the situation up with the landlord and the property manager seeking the release from your lease.

If the landlord refuses to let you out of the lease I would take the position that the landlord's refusal to rectify a criminal matter in your rental gives you the option to terminate your lease without any legal recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption