What can I do to protect myself and my girlfriend from my landlord and have the police take action?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to protect myself and my girlfriend from my landlord and have the police take action?

I live in a apartment building. I and everyone here has witnessed our landlord driving drunk with his kid in the car (well over 300 times). I have called the police on him for drinking and driving.I have called roughly around 20 times,they have only caught him doing it one time. Since then, my landlord has threaten to “kill me”, “beat me up”, and “crush my head in with a dumbbell”. I have called the police on him everytime he has said this to me. Then 2 weeks ago, he tried to attack my girlfriend and I, to the point where I had to push her out of the way so he would not make contact. We went to the police station and reported this. They refuse to do anything about this.

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First of all, if you are concerned about the welfare of this person's child, you should contact your local department of child protective services.  They will investigate.

Second, if you are concerned about the threats and his behavior and its impact on you--then I would suggest filing a request for a civil harassment protective order.  You can read more about such orders on the court's website at: http://www.courts.ca.gov/1044.htm.

Best of luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption