What can I do if I lent someone money and they have constantly avoided paying me back?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I lent someone money and they have constantly avoided paying me back?

One time they wrote me an altered check. They used someone else’s check and crossed out that person’s name and account number and wrote their own name and account number. Could I press any charges for this?

Asked on August 31, 2014 under Criminal Law, California


Brian Spaulding / Law Offices of Brian P. Spaulding, LLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You could potentially sue the person. Depending upon the amount, you might even be able to sue the person in small claims court. They key will be if you have a writing evidencing the debt or some other way to prove that you are owed money. Arguably, the "altered check" by the person who owes you money could establish awknowledgement of the debt.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption