If I lent a long time friend 2 items but later found out that he sold those items, can I sue?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I lent a long time friend 2 items but later found out that he sold those items, can I sue?

I recently found out that a friend of 7 years had sold 2 of my belongings that I let him borrow and expected to get back, a pair of expensive shoes and a game system. Funny enough, since he was my

Asked on July 25, 2016 under Business Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your friend for conversion which is theft in a civil case.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your  lawsuit) would be the value of the items.  You can use those phone messages/photos as evidence to support your case.
Your damages in Small Claims Court should also include court costs such as the court filing fee and process server fee in addition to the value of the items discussed above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption