If I left the scene after a fender bender not by choice but for other reasons, what should I do?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I left the scene after a fender bender not by choice but for other reasons, what should I do?

I was involved in minor fender bender. However, I could not follow the vehicle due to traffic. So I drove around the block and could not locate the other party. A week later, I receive a notice stating that the other party filed a report. I did not have insurance because the car was purchased recently under my brother’s name. What should I do? Literally, my license plate tapped the bumper. What can I do to ensure that this ordeal is dealt with? Do I need a criminal law attorney? I’m in Los Angeles County, CA.

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you received notice that the other party filed a report against you (presumably a police report) as to the fender bender that you have written about, you should probably consult with a criminal defense attorney about the situation before it becomes a bigger deal than what it is presently.

Likewise, if your brother has a policy of insurance concerning the vehicle that you were driving when the incident occurred, you should advise his insurance carrier about the situation and the incident.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption