What are my legal rights if I left my bike at my friends’ house and they sold itwithout my permission?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal rights if I left my bike at my friends’ house and they sold itwithout my permission?

About 6 weeks ago I asked my friend if I could leave my bike at her house because it was getting to dark. She said it was fine. So time went by and I started getting sick and things came up that I couldn’t get it. So 10 days ago I asked if I could can get my bike and she said she wasn’t home; I thought that was fine and let it go. So yesterday I asked if I could pass by and pick it up. Long story short her dad let his friends sell it. They never notified me or asked for permission to do so. What are my legal rights for this?

Asked on August 2, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your friend and her father owe you the value of the bicycle that was improperly sold. You were given permission to leave the bicycle at her house. She and presumably her father know you. They made no attempt to have you pick up your bicycle. They did not turn the item to the police department as an abandoned object.

In essence, your friend and her father improperly sold your bicycle. Some people could consider their actions as a "theft" of your property.

You need to speak to your parents or an adult you trust about what happened. You have a case to sue your friend and father in small claims court over the loss of your bicyle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption