What to do if II keep getting debt collection letters for something that is not mine?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if II keep getting debt collection letters for something that is not mine?

I have a very common name and I keep getting letters for a bad account. I have contacted the collection agency multiple times but I keep getting letters. Is there anything I can do to get them to stop?

Asked on April 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you keep on getting letters from a debt collection company with respect to a delinquent account concerning someone who has a similar name asuch as yours where you have written the third party debt collections that you are not the person who these letters are being sent to with no recourse, you need to call a representative of the company or companies writing you and speak with someone on the telephone about the need to remedy the situation.

If that does not stop the mailings, then your next option is to consult with an attorney that practices consumer law to write a cease and desist letter for you to these third party collection companies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption