What should I do if I just was charged with embezzlement at my job?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I just was charged with embezzlement at my job?

I took about $3,000 and was arrested and sent to jail. I posted bail at $5k. I know I was in the wrong and I know that I messed up. I have never been arrested before or been in trouble with the law. I need help in what to do. I don’t care if I have to pay back what I took or put me on probation or even fine me or all 3. just don’t wan to go to jail. I have to little girls and a wife. What do I do?

Asked on July 29, 2014 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What you do is hire an experienced criminal defense attorney right away to help you; experienced counsel will know the best way to handle this.

That said, as general matters:

1) Offering to repay the amount you took often helps get leniency.

2) Not having a prior criminal record will help.

3) Showing contrition also helps.

4) Being willing to accept monitoring (e.g. on probation) or going into a treatment program (if there are any underlying problems, like a gambling addiction, which caused this) are other things that may help you get lenient treatment.

But the most important thing is, retain an attorney. This is too important for you to try to handle the situation on your own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption