If I just received IRS notices for “overdue taxes” from11 and 12 years ago, are the outside of the statute of limitations?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I just received IRS notices for “overdue taxes” from11 and 12 years ago, are the outside of the statute of limitations?

Asked on December 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you received notices recently from the Internal Revenue Service about overdue taxes from a filed tax return going back over 10 years ago, there is a very good chance that the Internal Revenue Service may be barred from claiming the amount owed assuming you declared all income in those years.

If you did not, there is a possibility that the claim for overdue taxes may be time barred. Since tax issues are a complicated matter, I suggest that you consult with a tax attorney or your accountant about the recent notice that you just received to discuss the best way to proceed in responding to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption