How can I receive a summons to appear in court for a dissolution of marriage if we never legally got married?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I receive a summons to appear in court for a dissolution of marriage if we never legally got married?

We are currently setting up court dates for paternity and custody. I got a letter in the mail that said I am being summoned by the court to appear for dissolution of marriage. We never legally got married. We just got a license and let it expire. Can I fight this? Is his lawyer using this as a tool for custody?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Family Law, Indiana


James Peterson / Law Office Of James Peterson

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your partner may be alleging a common law marriage which may be established if you coohabitated and represented to others that you were married. If a mariage is established then property and bills can be divided, and the presumption of the child's paternity goes to the husband. Having over 25 years experience in these matters I offer you  free initial consultations and an afffordable fee. Please call if you have any questions. James P Peterson Attorney at Law 210 349 5555

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption