How do we claim the proceeds from my late father’s insurance policy?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do we claim the proceeds from my late father’s insurance policy?

I just received a letter from the state treasury department that said an unknown insurance policy from my father’s estate from 18 years ago, that probably should have had my late mother as the original beneficiary, is still waiting to be claimed. What would be the process for me, my brother, and my stepsister to follow.

Asked on November 14, 2015 under Estate Planning, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

On your state's website, click unclaimed property.  Enter your father's name.  The claim number and information about the documents you need to file to claim the proceeds of the insurance policy along with your state's procedures should appear.  Procedures for obtaining unclaimed property vary from state to state but the information you need should be available on your state's website under unclaimed property.
The insurance company was required by law to turn over the unclaimed property to the state after a certain period of time had elapsed.  Therefore, contacting the insurance company  won't help you to obtain the proceeds.
If you receive any letters from companies offering to obtain the unclaimed property for you for a fee, ignore those letters.  You don't need to pay anyone to obtain the unclaimed property.  It is very easy to follow your state's procedures on the website to obtain the proceeds from your father's insurance policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption