What to do if the tenant “handbook” states that we need to report any pest problems within 5 days of possession or it is our responsibility to deal with it?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the tenant “handbook” states that we need to report any pest problems within 5 days of possession or it is our responsibility to deal with it?

I just moved into a rental house 9 days ago. We didn’t notice any bat problem until 6 days into our occupancy. We found out from a neighbor that the previous tenants discovered a problem a couple weeks ago. Upon the walk-through of the property, prior to possession, the property manager and I did see areas where the soffit was open to pests but nothing has been done to repair it. Do I have any rights as to them removing the bats and repairing the areas where they get in? According tostate law, bats must be removed by a licensed professional.

Asked on September 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would immediately call and write your landlord advising him or her of the bat infestation issues and the need for such to be remedied by the landlord as soon as possible. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need. Request that the landlord remove them by a set date and if not, you will have them removed where the landlord will be invoiced for the service.

If the due date for a response comes and goes, hire a professional bat removal person and have the landlord invoiced for the service.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption