What to do if I just got a summons forone of several credit cards that I have not been able to pay on for the last couple of years?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I just got a summons forone of several credit cards that I have not been able to pay on for the last couple of years?

If we filed bankruptcy would this be an option? My wife has a small business and is wondering if filing would freeze her accounts? She pays her cards and part of our house payment and bills that I can’t cover with my paycheck. If filing wouldn’t help, what would we need to bring to court to answer the complaint?

Asked on December 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) You received the summons because you are being sued by the credit card issuer or their representative, or someone who bought the debt from them. A summons and complaint starts a lawsuit. At a minimum, you need to respond to it with an Answer, even if that Answer simply denies everything in the complaint. If you do not respond, you will lose automatically (by default).

2) Bankruptcy is an option--credit card debt is exactly the type of unsecured debt that bankruptcy works best on--but you need to weigh its impact on your credit and your wife's assets and business as well as on yourself. This can be very complex--you should consult with a bankruptcy attorney, since there is no simple or easy answer.

3) Note that if your wife's businss is an LLC (limited liability company) or corporation ("Inc."), it is a separate legal entity from her--and therefore from you--and should be mostly or even entirely unaffected by your own bankruptcy. Again, though, it is best to consult with an expert when you have the finances of two people and a business to consider, in deciding not just whether to file bankruptcy, but also which type (i.e. Chapter 7 or Chapter 13) to file.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption