What to o if I just found out there is a non-extrajudicial warrant out for me?

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to o if I just found out there is a non-extrajudicial warrant out for me?

It is for a bad check $238 and dates back 12 years. I had no knowledge of this and have not lived in the state in which the warrant was issued for 11 years. When I contacted the local authorities to see how I could take care of this they told me I would have to come back, turn myself in and go to court. I now live in another state and have for the last 5 years, before that I lived in Japan for 8 years. Being that this whole thing is from over 10 years ago wouldn’t the statute of limitations have run out? I’m willing to take care of the matter and would have done so sooner had I’d known about it but I really don’t want to travel 800 miles to go to jail and court over something I didn’t even know about.

Asked on September 24, 2013 under Criminal Law, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to hire an attorney ti handle this for you telephonically because to do otherwise would probably cause you a great more in cost and time. The lawyer can verify if the statute of limitations has run and whether or not the matter has been resolved by simply having the statute run. If the statute tolled (halted), then you need to see if your attorney can simply have you pay the fine and move on from there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption