If I just found out that whenI had my gallbladder removed 10 years agothey left surgical clips in me, what shouldI do?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I just found out that whenI had my gallbladder removed 10 years agothey left surgical clips in me, what shouldI do?

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Malpractice Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to speak with a medical malpractice attorney.  The statute of limitations in a medical malpractice case does not start running until you discovered the surgical clips.  This means that you still have time to file a lawsuit despite the fact that the surgery was ten years ago.

Medical malpractice is negligence. Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that in this case a reasonable surgeon in the community would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).

Prior to filing your lawsuit, it may be possible to settle the case with the surgeon's malpractice insurance carrier.  You should obtain your medical bills and medical reports from the operation itself and also from the medical practitioner who discovered the surgical clips.  Your claim against the surgeon's malpractice insurance carrier would include the medical bills, medical reports, and documentation of wage loss if applicable.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of the injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption