If I just found out that my husband never divorced his first wife before marrying me, what do I have to do to get a “divorce”?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I just found out that my husband never divorced his first wife before marrying me, what do I have to do to get a “divorce”?

Is there anything that I need to do to make sure that the marriage license is considered not legal so I can go forward and claim single on my taxes, etc?

Asked on December 30, 2011 under Family Law, Oregon


Howard Pobiner / Howard J. Pobiner, Esq.

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to bring an action to declare the nullity of a void marriage. You are single right now for tax purposes, but for all the other little details of life, it's best to clarify your status before there are other life changes that make it much more difficult and expensive to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption