What should I do if I just found out that my electricity is covering the entire building?

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I just found out that my electricity is covering the entire building?

This was not in our lease.

Asked on November 26, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are a tenant in a rental and the electricity that you are presumably paying for is also for the entire unit (other rentals) you need to speak with your landlord about this unfair situation and the need for other tenants to pay their fair share.

Depending upon the age of the rental you are in, there could be requirements that each individual rental must have its own separate utility meter. Calling your local permit and building department would be the best way to ascertain if individual meters are a requirement for the unit you are living in.

Another option would be for you to consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation of your landlord is not responsive to your request for resolving the electricity issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption