What are my rights regarding getting a copy of my grandmother’s Will?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding getting a copy of my grandmother’s Will?

I just found out that my grandmother has passed away 10 years ago but her Will did not go in to probate. When I contacted her lawyer he told me that he could not give me any info without permission from the executor, which as I found out, was my sister. She told me that I was cut out of the Will so there is no need for me to have a copy; she refuses to give me one. Is there anything that I can do to find out the truth?

Asked on December 28, 2015 under Estate Planning, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Since your grandmother's will has not yet been entered into probate, as a relative you are still entitled to see a copy of it since you are what is called an "interested party". This means that you can ask the probate court to let you view it.
Note: If your grandther's Will had been probated, then it would a matter of public record, which means that anyone could obtain a copy.
Here is a link to an article that will explain things further: https://law.freeadvice.com/estate_planning/wills/will-copy.htm

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption