If I just found out that my husband of 4 years signed a personal guarantee for his parent’s business 10 years ago, can my/our assets be seized for their debt?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I just found out that my husband of 4 years signed a personal guarantee for his parent’s business 10 years ago, can my/our assets be seized for their debt?

They are around retirement age and are contemplating just “giving up” the business with it’s close to $2 million in debt. My husband had basically no assets when he signed but has always been employed by the business. I brought about $400,000 to the marriage. My understanding is that the only other guaranteer were the parents/owners and another brother. None are in very good financial shape and will likely just declare bankruptcy. Is there any way we/I can protect myself from this debt that I wasn’t aware of or party to? My husband was young and didn’t realize what he was signing.

Asked on August 27, 2012 under Business Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Assets you brought into the marriage should not subject to your husband's personal guaranty, though be aware that creditors may try to reach them--and may even encumber or seize them--thinking they are your husband's or marital assets, forcing you to then take action to protect or recover them.

Your husband's assets are obviously at risk. And marital assets--anything you and he have acquired since being marriage--are also potentially subject to action by creditors.

Speak with an attorney with estate planning experience immediately. There are ways to maximize the protection of you personal assets and your share of marital assets, but you need professional guidance on doing this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption