What are my rights if I just found out I am pregnant and my boyfriend is refusing to pay any of my doctor co-pays, etc. for the baby?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I just found out I am pregnant and my boyfriend is refusing to pay any of my doctor co-pays, etc. for the baby?

Asked on August 2, 2011 Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are pregnant and the father of your child refuses to assist you in payment of the expenses while preganant, you should consult with a family law attorney immediately.

If you cannot afford one, most counties in this country have a division of their district attorney's office that deal with "aid to families with dependent children" that possibly could assist in child support obligations down the road of the father once the child is born and your boyfriend is decided to be the child's father.

You might consider filing a petition in your county's superior court against your boyfriend for assistance in the unborn child's expenses while you are pregnat assuming he admits that the unborn child is his.

Good luck.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption