If I am being garnished and have no idea what it is for, what can I do to find out what this is about?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am being garnished and have no idea what it is for, what can I do to find out what this is about?

I just found out from my payroll office that I am being garnished but I have no idea what it is for; I never recieved notification. I looked the company up on the internet and called the office and they refused to give me any information unless I gave them more information. I did not give them any more information and ended the call.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, South Dakota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The reason why your wages are being garnished is that most likely there is a judgment or a child support order issued against you. I suggest that you ask your employer for a copy of the garnishment order. From there you can see the name of the plaintiff, the case number and the county where the lawsuit was filed.

From there, you can do some investigation as to whether there is a valid judgment against you or you are a victim of some mistaken identity. I suggest that you consult with a consumer law attorney to assist you in the matter you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption