What to do if I just finished repaying a civil suit from an eviction and now the landlord won’t cooperate in giving a letter of satisfaction?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I just finished repaying a civil suit from an eviction and now the landlord won’t cooperate in giving a letter of satisfaction?

I have just finished paying on a civil suit that a previous landlord had against me after evicting me. I have been making bi-weekly payments for some time and have just paid it off. I have tried numerous times to contact said landlord, as I want her to notify the proper people so that I can have this suit closed out for good. My understanding is that I need a Letter Of Satisfaction and I’m not sure what else she needs to do to close this out. She has not returned messages that I have sent via email and Facebook and I do not have any other way of contacting her. What can I do? Do I have any rights?

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the status of most states, if a judgment against a person has been fully satisfied and the former judgment creditor refuses to sign a full satisfaction of this judgment, the former judgment creditor can file a motion with the court for monetary penalty to be assessed against the former judgment creditor for not signing and an order deeming that the judgment has been satisfied in full.

I suggest that this will be the course that you may have to take if you do not get cooperation from the former judgment creditor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption