If I inherited 1/3 of my parent’s house along with my sisters, am I entitled to get back money I have paid on the mortgage?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I inherited 1/3 of my parent’s house along with my sisters, am I entitled to get back money I have paid on the mortgage?

I have been living there for 3 years and have paid roughly $30k on the mortgage. My sisters have paid nothing. If we sell the house am I entitled to be repaid the money I put into the house before the money from the sale has been divided into thirds?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is not as simple as you think although I do think that you should get something back.  First, why are you living there? If the house was rented to a third party you would receive a third of the profits as would your sisters.  So you have to figure out how much the fair market rent would have been and figure in that amount.  Most importantly, what was your deal with your siblngs?  That will matter here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption