If I signed a 4 year alarm system contract for protection for our home but we’re unexpectedly relocating, do we have to continue to pay?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed a 4 year alarm system contract for protection for our home but we’re unexpectedly relocating, do we have to continue to pay?

Earlier this year we, upon the belief would be remaining in our house for the foreseeable future signed a 4 year contract to an alarm provider (Vivint) which includes physical components of an alarmed system, and a monitoring service in the event of fire/invasion, etc. We’re now moving out of state at short notice due to my getting a new job but are told we have to continue paying even though we no longer will have the alarm system (physically we leave the equipment for the next owner) and will not be able to resume service at a rented home. Are we really on the hook for 3 years payments?

Asked on August 24, 2012 under General Practice, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to look at your contract.  Every contract has provisions for termination-- they may not tell you about them because they don't want an early termination.  So, your starting point is your contract.  Whatever your contract spells out for terminating the contract, you need to follow to the letter.  You may also want to go to the company's website and review their "frequently asked questions" section.  Often people will ask that question and they may have an answer that tips off how to do an early termination.  Or, if they represent that they will allow early termination for relocation, you may have a defense in that you signed a contract on a false representation.

If your contract has no such provisions then you may be stuck with the payment for the next three years. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption