If I hit the side of the garage door at my rental with my car, do I need a lawyer?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I hit the side of the garage door at my rental with my car, do I need a lawyer?

I rent the property where the accident occurred. There was significant damage to the wall. Do you

recommend I get a lawyer or just let my landlord’s homeowner’s insurance and my car insurance companies figure things out?

Asked on March 9, 2019 under Accident Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you hit a door--a stationary object--you are at fault. That means that if the landlord's insurer pays to the landlord and is not reimbursed by your insurance, they could sue you to recover the money they paid out (this right is called "subrogation"). Or if the landlord for any reason is not fully paid by insurance, he could sue you for the money (or he could choose to NOT file a claim with his insurance and simply sue you--he is not legally required to go through insurance).
Until and unless you are sued, you don't need to do anything. If you are sued (or a lawsuit is at least seriously threatened), consider how much you are being sued for and decide if it would be more cost-effective to pay than to spend money on a lawyer, especially since, as stated, you are clearly at fault (hitting a stationary object is by definition careless): thus, your odds of successfully defending yourself if sued are slim, and you could end up paying for a lawyer, losing, and then having to pay for the damage anyway.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption