If I hit someone’s car andthey did not have a driver’s license or insurance, what can they do if they disagree with how their car was repaired by my body shop?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I hit someone’s car andthey did not have a driver’s license or insurance, what can they do if they disagree with how their car was repaired by my body shop?

She could be an illegal immigrant? Since my dad owns a body shop, they agreed to come in and let my dad fix the damage I caused. However, their car is already in bad shape, with rust all over and it might be a totaled car before I damaged it. We tried to tell them that we already repaired the damaged cause by me but they insist we fix the whole car (even the obvious previously done damages). The police at the scene did nothing about her except give her my information. They said they would take the car to another body shop and file the claim after we already repaired the damages I caused.

Asked on July 27, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the repair work has been done at your father's body shop for the damages you caused, and the owner of the repaired car signed paperwork for the repair and then took the car, then she has the burden of showing that the repairs made as the result of the accident were not done properly.

The woman could make a complaint with the Bureau of Automotive Repairs in the state youlive in about the work done by your father's body shop. She could also bring a lawsuit against either you for damges and/or your father's business for a bad repair where the repairs made have to be done over.

Hopefully photographs were taken of the car before repairs were made and after to show the difference if you and yor father have to go to court.

Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption