Am I required to pay a videographer if my wedding video is flawed?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I required to pay a videographer if my wedding video is flawed?

We had no contract or deposit, just a verbal agreement. I have come to find out the first 15 minutes of my wedding were not recorded. Now he won’t show me the video; he just wants me to pay him. I told him no. He sent me to collections. Do I have a right to see the video?

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Business Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First you need to deal with the collection issue.  Call and send a letter to the collection agency (call to get a name that has meaning to deal with first and try and discuss things too).  In the letter and on the phone ask for validation of the debt: a copy of the original agrement, payments received by the original creditor, a judgement or what ever against you for the money and a copy of their agreement with the videographer. If it is as you say then you have just put them on notice of a big problem and hopefully made them a bit jumpy.  Now, you have a contract it is just an oral agreement: services rendered and payment to be made.  You have a right to claim a breach of the agreement (the 15 minute issue) and possibly a right to see the product to discuss a breach or an agreement for the remaining minutes should you want them.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption