If I hired an unlicensed and uninsured caterer and people got food poisoning, can we be sued?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I hired an unlicensed and uninsured caterer and people got food poisoning, can we be sued?

The caterer also happens to be my brother (I wanted to save money). People at the event got food poisoning (or so they say). He is a former catering manager at a resort and is certified in Servsafe. I have used him on several occasions and have had no problems. Now, weeks later we are getting calls that the people who were sick in the beginning are still upset about it and one person says they are still sick.

Asked on December 29, 2010 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The people who became ill with food poisoning could sue you for negligence.  As an employer, you would be liable for the negligence of your employee (the caterer) which occurred within the course and scope of his employment.  You would be liable for negligent hiring of an unlicensed caterer and negligent supervision of the employee.  Both you and your brother would be named as defendants in the lawsuit for negligence.

Those who are claiming food poisoning could seek damages (monetary compensation in their lawsuits) based on their medical bills, pain and suffering, and any wage loss.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of their injuries and will be used to claim compensation for pain and suffering.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to their medical bills.  Compensation for the medical bills and wage loss is straight reimbursement.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is possible that you could be personally sued (and, of course, your brother and/or his business could be sued) on the following grounds or for the following reasons:

1) If you knew--as you apparently did--that you broker was unlicensed, it might be considered that employing an unlicensed caterer was a negligent, or unreasonably careless, act.

2) Even if employing an unlicensed caterer would not be considered negligent in and of itself, if the food poisoning occured because of something under your control and which was negligent (e.g. your refrigorator is bad and did not keep food cold enough; or you bought supplies from a sketchy or not reputable source to save money; or there was a lack of hygene at facilities under your control) that could give rise to liability.

3) If it's determined that your brother was sufficiently under your control in how he did the work, that might make you vicarously liable.

By using someone who is not insured, you made yourself a target who those who sue him and want to recover compensation, but cannot get it from him (e.g. he or his business don't have sufficient assets).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption