What are my rights if Ihired a moving company to move my household goods over a month ago and they have not yet been delivered?

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if Ihired a moving company to move my household goods over a month ago and they have not yet been delivered?

From IL to UT. Every time I talk to the company I get a different excuse why my goods have not been delivered. I feel like they are trying to rip me off.

Asked on October 4, 2010 under General Practice, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

1) If the mover breaches it's contract--e.g. they don't actually move your goods--you can sue them breach of contract to recover both monies paid and any damages (such as hiring an alternative mover) you suffer.

2) If they steal your goods, you can sue them theft and report them to the police.

3) If they "merely" negligently lost or destroyed your goods, you probably can't report them to the police, but you can sue them for the value of the lost goods.

You should speak with an attorney. His or her first action will  probably be to write a lawyer's letter to the move, and see if the fact of legal representation and threat of legal action gets them to step up and honor their obligations or make good for any losses. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption