What can I do if I lost some shift work since the manager just doesn’t want to work with me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I lost some shift work since the manager just doesn’t want to work with me?

I have worked for a company 13 years; 10 of those years I’ve worked morning opening shift. Then, last Friday I was approached by my general manager as I was leaving my job that I would be losing 2 of my shifts and only had a week before that happened. However, when I to work Monday, they had already replaced my shift. I was told that they took my shift away because the manager, who has been there for 2 years, doesn’t want to work with me and he says he can do that for no reason. Is that legal?

Asked on January 26, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, unless you have an employment contract or union agreement, or this action violates company policy, there really isn't anything that you can do so long as your treatment doesn't constitute some form of actionable discrimination. Otherwise as an "at will" employee your empoyer can set the terms and conditions of the worklace much as it sees fit. This includes who to schedule, when and why.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption