If I have used diversion on a misdemeanor before canIuse it now on my first felony?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have used diversion on a misdemeanor before canIuse it now on my first felony?

I used a diversion program on simple possession and got off probation then got caught for manufacturing and sales, got caught with scales and grams can I use diversion again since the first one was a misdemeanor and this is my first felony?

Asked on August 30, 2011 Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm afraid that you are out of luck. Diversion for first-time offenders - no matter what the offense. Since you used it once it is no longer available to you. So whether or not your first offense was a misdemeanor and this offense is a felony, diversion is a 1 time only get out of jail card.

This is why before people accept diversion they should consider having an attorney try to get their first offense dismissed or to try an win an acquittal at trial. This way diversion would be available for any subsequent offense (such as is your case here).

At this point you need to consult directly with a crimnaml law attoreny in your area ASAP.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption