If I have unpaid medical bill from when I was under the age of 18, am I responsible or are my parents?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have unpaid medical bill from when I was under the age of 18, am I responsible or are my parents?

Now it’s on my credit report and the creditor is saying I have to pay these bills.

Asked on January 10, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, if medical service was rendered to you while you were a minor at the request of your parents and the bill was not paid by them, you unfortunately are responsible for payment of it, not your parents.

In your situation, I would see of the health care provider would be willing to accept a partial lump sum payment for full satisfaction of the debt after you explain to its representative that the bill was incurred when you were a minor. Another option is to enter into a monthly installment plan in writing to pay down the debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption