If I add my 3 adult children on the title to my real estate as joint tenants, will that help to avoid probate?

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I add my 3 adult children on the title to my real estate as joint tenants, will that help to avoid probate?

Do I need to hire an attorney or are there simple forms I can fill out to accomplish this? My children are co-signers on my checking and savings accounts. I have no stock or other investments and I own my home free and clear.

Asked on October 29, 2014 under Estate Planning, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Putting your children on your title as joint tenents will help avoid probate only if they are listed as joint tenants with rights of survivorship.� The best way to avoid probate is to establish a revocable living trust with your children as beneficiaries and put the house in the name of the trust.� Same with the bank accounts -- make them pay on death accounts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption