If my ex-husband is hiring a lawyer to take me to court for visitations with the kids, should I be worried?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-husband is hiring a lawyer to take me to court for visitations with the kids, should I be worried?

I have sole custody and decision making on my children. He has never paid child support and there is a no contact rrstraining order keeping him from the children and I. I can’t afford an attorney.

Asked on January 3, 2013 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Going into litigation on your own without representation is something to at least be concerned about.  Through legal maneuvering, the attorney may try to get the court to lift the restraining order so that your ex- can see the children. 

If you cannot afford representation, you still need to be prepared to defend yourself.  Gather all the information or documentation that led up to the judge restricting his visitations.  Also be able to show the judge that interacting with him at this point could place the children at a physical or emotional risk of harm. 

Even though you cannot afford an attorney, you may still be able to get some legal help with representation.  Contact the court coordinator and the clerk of the court in your county to see if the local bar association offers any pro bono legal clinics.  An attorney may be available at one of these clinics to look over his motions and give you more specific advice on what to do next.  Also inquire about any legal service organizations that help low income applicants.  Some representation is better than no representation, especially when it involves the safety of your children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption