If I have sole legal and physical custody of my 11 year old daughter and need to move out of state, what do I need to do?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have sole legal and physical custody of my 11 year old daughter and need to move out of state, what do I need to do?

Visitation was ordered as she wished and under supervision. She has not seen her father in over 2 years and does not want to see him. I am trying to move out of state. My mother is my main support for help with my children so I can work and she just moved to another state. I am trying to legally move out of state to be with her so she is ableto help with my children and I can help her since she is elderly.

Asked on January 12, 2013 under Family Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since there is a court order mandating that you have sole physical and legal custody of your minor child, you seemingly have the right to take your child with you without court approval of your intended move. I suggest that as a precaution that you have drafted a notice of your intent to relocate out of state to be served on your daughter's father and filed with the court where the pending child custody issue arises.

It is then up to him to file some petition with the court objecting to the move which seems unlikely based upon what you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption