If I resigned for my previous job about 4 months ago, what can I do if I haven’t yet received my all of my wages and bonus?

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I resigned for my previous job about 4 months ago, what can I do if I haven’t yet received my all of my wages and bonus?

I have talked with my employer before resigning the job and also after leaving the job about my pending salary and billable bonus payments. My employer has said multiple times that they will take care of them soon but I have not seen anything done in this regard. Now, they are ignoring my calls/emails. How can I approach this legally?

Asked on October 7, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You sue them, if they failed to pay you any wages or commissions or bonsuses you earned a lawsuit is how you force someone to pay you when they are obligated to yet refuse to do so. To win, you'd need to prove
1 For basic wages or salary, that you worked those days or hours and what your wage/salary had been you can use your testimony, pay records or paystubs, time sheets, etc.
2 For commissions, the terms of the commission e.g. the % and that you made the sale you can use testimony and any documentation of the sale and of prior commissions.
3 For bonuses, you'd have to prove that the bonus was guaranteed e.g. for hitting certain benchmarks, no discretionary, and that you accomplished the requirements for the bonus. Bonus letters, agreements, or plans would be very helpful evidence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption