If I have relevant information to civil case currently pending, what is my obligation to provide it?

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have relevant information to civil case currently pending, what is my obligation to provide it?

The info I have could effect the out come of the case. Currently no one knows I have this info.

Asked on December 13, 2013 under Business Law, Colorado


Henry Hunter / Law Office of Henry Wyche Hunter

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This depends on a number of factors.  

1) What is your relationship to the parties to the lawsuit?  (I take it you are not a party in this suit.)  It might be important to know whether a fiduciary relationship exists.

2) Have they taken your deposition?  Will they be taking your deposition?  

If you are merely an uninvolved third party who just happens to know something relevant, I don't think you have any duty to share your knowledge with anybody.  That said, without knowing the specific details, I cannot say for certain.  


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption