What to do if I am moving out within the next few days and my landlord wants to show the unit?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I am moving out within the next few days and my landlord wants to show the unit?

I don’t want him to show it while I am here. I found out he is a convicted felon on 16 different counts including threatening, identity theft, harassment, tampering with witness, etc.. I fear for my safety. He also says there is a leak on the roof although nothing is leaking into my unit. However he says that he has to get through the door in closet to get to roof which is not true.

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are fearful of your landlord, perhaps you simply stay with a friend pending your final move out or have a friend stay with you during this time period.

Under the laws of all states in this country, a landlord has the right to enter a rented unit provided reasonable notice is given. Typically 24 hours is deemed reasonable notice. Reasons for a landlord to enter a rented unit is to inspect it for problems, make repairs, do maintenance and show it to prospective buyers or tenants.

I suggest you get some written confirmation as to when the landlord will be in your unit for inspection purposes. When received, have your friend present on that date and time or be away on that date and time. When you return, make sure you return with your friend to inspect the premises to make sure they are clear.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption