If I have power of attorney for mom and my sister had her sign a document without my knowledge, can I intervene?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have power of attorney for mom and my sister had her sign a document without my knowledge, can I intervene?

My sister had been helping mom during her illness. My sister has her own home in the same city. My mom went to hospital and was put into a rehabilitation center. I asked my sister several times to leave the home, she refused. She is somewhat intimidating and has mom convinced no one else can help her. New Link Destination
day she had mom sign a paper saying that she can live in mom’s house as long as she wants. However, mom told us tonight she regrets signing it and now wants to revoke it. As power of attorney can I do anything?

Asked on November 30, 2018 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Either you or your mom could revoke the document if you want: while you can't stop your mother from signing anything she wants without your knowledge or permission (having authority from a POA lets you act for or in addition to her, but does not take away her power to act for herself) unless this meets the requirements to be contract or lease. An enforceable contract (including a lease) requires that each side give or promise the other something. So if your sister is paying for the right to live there, or is performing services for your mother in exchange for living there--and the document states this--it is a contract, and a contract, once signed, is enforceable as per its plain terms. So while the contract is in effect (i.e. until its expiration date or during its period or duration), so long as your sister does whatever she agreed to do, the agreement could only be terminated if there is some clause or provision in it allowing termination under certain circumstances (e.g. on 30 days notice)--though if your sister stopped doing what was required, then you could immediately treat it as terminated by her breach.
But that is only IF it is a contract, which means only if your sister is giving your mother something in return for residency. If it is not, it's not a "gratuitous", or freely made, promise, and a freely made promise may  be freely revoked at any time, without notice or warning. So in this case, either your mother or your could tell her that her permission to live there is revoked; typically, you give her 30 days written notice doing this (the law expects you to give her a reasonable chance to move out). If she doesn't move out when required, you would bring a legal action traditionally called an action "for ejectment" (your state may have a different name for it) to remove her--you can think of this as "eviction for non-tenants," or for people who are not paying or doing something for the right to live there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption