If I have POA, guardianship and am the excutor of my mother’s Will, do I have to give an accounting to my siblings of every penny I spend for her while she is in my care?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have POA, guardianship and am the excutor of my mother’s Will, do I have to give an accounting to my siblings of every penny I spend for her while she is in my care?

I don’t mind being audited once a year but they want to know and it’s only been 6 months. I feel as if it’s fine for them to know that all I have done is legal, however they don’t need to know details. They take those details back to my mother and she gets mad at me. Also, one of my brothers took family pictures out of my mother’s house with her permission but not mine. My mother has dementia and I feel as if she was tricked into giving these pictures up. He took all of them without regard for the other siblings.

Asked on September 20, 2014 under Estate Planning, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The Powers that have been given you under the various appointments are far reaching and you should discuss them with an attorney in your area to fully understand them.  Now, as a POA - which is durable now in Alabama - it is my understanding that you do not have to give an accounting unless under specific instances (like a court order, etc).  I am giving you a link to the law so that you can read what your powers are.


Now, as guardian you must take care of your Mom.  Are you also conservator over her estate or does the POA cover that?  Then you are to safeguard her things.  If she does not have the capacity to give permission for something because she can be easily influenced then you have the power to get things returned.  You have no executor powers until Mom passes and you are appointed.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption