What to do if I have plea of abeyance for a possesion of a controlled substance charge?

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have plea of abeyance for a possesion of a controlled substance charge?

It’s my 2nd plea of abeyance. I missed the hair folicle and open court this morning the court said still no warrant via phone. In open court tomorrow what would you recommend i do/say? How do I avoid jail? What are some legal options?

Asked on December 11, 2013 under Criminal Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A plea in abeyance is like a contract between you and the prosecutor to keep you from having a conviction on your record.  This is usually a one-time deal – if you don’t have an extensive record, you can sometimes make an agreement with the prosecutor to dismiss the case, subject to the judge’s approval.

That’s right – the prosecutor will make a contract with you agreeing that you shouldn’t be convicted.  That’s not just exciting, it’s downright amazing!  If you successfully complete the plea in abeyance, you will not have a conviction; instead, the charge will be dismissed completely.

So what do you have to do to complete the plea in abeyance period?

First, there will be a probationary period attached to the plea in abeyance.  These periods of time vary according to the severity of the charge.  There is nearly always a fee attached to the plea in abeyance agreement, and depending on the charge, you often need to take classes as well.  If you comply with all of the terms of the plea in abeyance agreement, the court will dismiss your case when the probationary period is over.

By contrast, if you violate your probationary period, you can be sentenced on the charges without a trial.  This is what penalizes people who try to take advantage of the prosecutor with a plea in abeyance.

The hardest part is often the requirement that you enter a plea to take care of things.  Be aware, when I say “enter a plea,” I mean you are actually entering a plea.  You usually have to enter a plea of “guilty” to get a plea in abeyance.  Some prosecutors and judges will agree to a “no contest” plea in abeyance or, more rarely, what is called an “Alford” plea, but these are unusual situations.

By entering a guilty plea, you admit that you have done wrong, showing the court that you take responsibility for your actions.  In return, the court and the prosecutor let you prove that you won’t make a similar mistake in the future.

There are some circumstances where a plea in abeyance is not available.  Check with an attorney to find out if a plea in abeyance is available for specific charges or under specific circumstances.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption