If I have a creditoe from an old credit card debt coming after me, what can I do to fight it?

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a creditoe from an old credit card debt coming after me, what can I do to fight it?

I have old credit card dept that has gone to a lawyer, who has filed default against me. I’m not even sure from what bank and in regards to what old credit card of mine. I have several old credit card debts and I am wondering why this is showing up and the others have not? What proof do they have to show that this is my debt? Is there anything I can do to fight this? Should I contact the lawyer that has filed the default against me?

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there has been a default filed against you as to the old credit card debt that you are writing about, it means that you have been served with the summons and complaint and failed to file a timely answer to the complaint.

Very likely there will be a defualt judgment entered against you for a specific dollar amount. I suggest that you contact the lawyer that filed the lawsuit against you to try and work out some solution to it. If the debt is not a huge amount and you actually owe it, you should consider making monthly payments on it in an amount you can afford memorialized in a written agreement assuming the lawsuit against you is not barred by the statute of limitations.

I suggest that you consult with your own attorney on the subject first who practices debt collection law. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption