If Ihave not received my final paycheck, what can I do?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Ihave not received my final paycheck, what can I do?

I recently left my employer because I felt that I was treated differently. In the 3 years that I worked for them I was yelled at, had doors slammed in my face, told I had a “small penis,” and other various treatments I did not see professional. Now I have not received my final paycheck. I have not been there in about a month. I called the corporate office and realized that I had not updated my current address, I corrected the mistake and still have not received it after 2 additional phone calls to fix the problem.

Asked on August 1, 2011 Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Some states have codified - written in to law - "rules" regarding the giving and receiving of last pay checks by employers and employees.  These are known as "last paycheck" laws.  States often differentiate between if if an employee was fired or they left voluntarily.  In Texas, if you were fired then your final check must be given within six days. If an employee quites, then the final check must be given on the next scheduled payday.  So I would be on the safe side and use the date you updated them on your address.  I would send a letter by certified mail and advise them that the address update was given on x date and that under state law you were to receive your paycheck on x date, the next scheduled payday.  That you have not and that should this go on past x date you will file a complaint with the department of labor.   You seem to have been mistreated by this company.  Seek consultation from an attorney.  You may have been forced out under state law.  See if you can file for unemployment benefits  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption