I have not been paid by my employer in six weeks is there anything I can do?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have not been paid by my employer in six weeks is there anything I can do?

I work as a waitress in a bar and have not been paid in six weeks. I have been at this work place for four months and only received one check so far. When I asked the owner of the bar I was not given an answer.

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Business Law, Kansas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You need to get in touch with the Kansas Department of Labor, the Employments Standards section, and file a claim under the Kansas Wage Payment Act.  I'm not a Kansas attorney, so I don't know the details but there is information you can find on the internet, and they are probably in your telephone book as well.  This sort of proceeding doesn't usually cost you anything.  Exactly what your rights are will depend on the facts.

One check in four months is absolutely not lawful, I'm sure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption