What to do if I have never been in trouble before but just got arrested for theft by deception in the 1st degree?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have never been in trouble before but just got arrested for theft by deception in the 1st degree?

I really don’t know what to do. Is there some kind of first affender’s program?

Asked on October 18, 2013 under Criminal Law, Alabama


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There may be in your jurisdiction but not all charges will qualify. You need a good criminal defense attorney or caring public defender who can review possible alternative or delayed conviction programs with you wherein you would plead guilty, go through certain programs and then pay a fine and if you meet all the required conditions, the plea would be taken back and the matter dismissed. After all of this, then you would need an attorney again to determine if you qualify for any sort of expungement.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption