If I have multiple holes in my ceiling and the landlord has not fixed, how do I file a complaint and what are my rights?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have multiple holes in my ceiling and the landlord has not fixed, how do I file a complaint and what are my rights?

Several weeks ago, the water heater in the apartment above my unit exploded. When that happened my ceiling began lo leak water which created damage and holes to most of my livingroom ceiling and carpet.

Asked on August 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the holes or other damage affect habitability--the ability to safely use the premises as a residence--and the landlord will not fix the damage after written notice, you could bring a lawsuit for breach of the implied warranty of habitability (the obligation to furnish rental premises "fit for their intended purpose") and look to recover a pro rata rent abatement (reduction) for the period of time habitability was impaired. However, if the damage does not actually affect habitability--it is unaesthetic, but not unsafe or unhealthy in some way--then you might not have a cause of action; landlords are not obligated to make all repairs, only those specifically in the lease or whcih affect habitability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption