If I have loaned someone money $7500 and they defaulted so I obtaiend a judgment, how do i collect if I’m out of state?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have loaned someone money $7500 and they defaulted so I obtaiend a judgment, how do i collect if I’m out of state?

I filed, won and was awarded a judgement. He signed the paperwork and the court mailed it to me stating the expiration date and that he was to pay 7.5% interest each year. However, he hasn’t paid me. This was done in one state but I have since moved to another state. I read that I can file a petition for citation but will I have to go back to my former state of residence to do it or can it be done from here? I would like to ask to garnish his wages; he’s working on a farm. I don’t know the address of where he works but I do know his home address. Also, he just recently passed the fireman’s exam. I want to do this once he is hired as a full-time fireman and be added to collect my loan if he ever files bankruptcy.

Asked on January 12, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you know where the judgment debtor works you need to prepare a writ of execution, a memorandum of garnishee, a memorandum of costs post trial, and levying instructions. You submit the memorandum of costs and the writ of execution to the court clerk for filing and return.

You then provide the civil division of the county sheriff copies of the documents and pay a fee. The sheriff then does the wage ganrishment.

I suggest that you may want to contact your local legal aid clinic for assistance in that debt collection is hard work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption