If I have lived inthe USsince I was a babyand Iam now 18 now, is there any special way to become a citizen?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have lived inthe USsince I was a babyand Iam now 18 now, is there any special way to become a citizen?

I was born in Mexico and my parents are illegal. My mom crossed over and brought me here in the US when I was 1 year old. I’ve been living here for 17 years and I want to go to collage but none will accept an illegal. Can you help?

Asked on December 3, 2011 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are not yet 18 and 180 days, you actually have a chance of getting a real visa at the US embassy in your home country IF YOU LEAVE the US now.  If you do not, not only will you not be able to get into college but you will not be able to ever legalize your status in the US under the current immigration laws.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption