What to do if I have had a judgement against me for 2 years and I still can’t pay?

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have had a judgement against me for 2 years and I still can’t pay?

The judgement is on a credit card debt for around $4000 and I still can’t pay. I have no assets. I already have had my wages garnished for child support for another three more years. What options do I have and what else can the collector do to me legally? My income situation my change in a year or so and then I’ll be able to save some money to pay this debt.

Asked on June 28, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot make any payments on the $4,000 judgment against you then you cannot. I suggest that you call the judgment creditor and advise it of your financial situation where perhaps some tolling agreement can be reached where your assets will not be levied upon.

One option would be to try and get a part time job to try and pay off this $4,000 judgment sooner rather than later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption